Mérieux NutriSciences is dedicated to protecting consumers’ health throughout the world, by delivering a wide range of test and consultancy services to the food and nutrition industries. In addition, we also serve companies in the water and environment, agrochemical, consumer goods, pharmaceutical and cosmetics sectors.
Key facts and figures
- We are present in 27 countries.
- We have 8000+ employees committed to meeting our customers’ needs
- We operate over 100 accredited laboratories worldwide
- We have over 50 years of experience working with leading food and beverage companies
The Mérieux legacy
Following in Pasteur’s footsteps, Marcel Mérieux established Institut Mérieux in 1897.
Initially under the direction of Dr. Charles Mérieux (Marcel’s son) and later Alain Mérieux (Marcel’s grandson), Institut Mérieux became a world leader in the field of human and veterinary vaccines.
The family's corporate holding was later extended in the 1990s to address food safety and nutrition issues, through the acquisition of American food testing company Silliker. It was this acquisition which later resulted in Mérieux NutriSciences.
Silliker is the historical pillar of Mérieux NutriSciences and a pioneer in the field of food safety and quality. The company was created in 1967 in the United States by Dr. John H. Silliker, a microbiologist known for his work on Salmonella, who began his own business with a staff of just four people. With its headquarters in Chicago (Illinois), the company has grown rapidly in recent years and now operates more than 80 laboratories in 21 countries.
With 50 years of experience in food safety and quality, Mérieux NutriSciences has won the confidence of the food processing industry and extended its expertise to various industrial sectors.
Our History in South Africa
- 1991, creation of Swift Micro Laboratories (Pty) - one of the first and largest commercial testing laboratories of its kind in South Africa
- 2001, privatisation of the company during a management buyout from the CSIR.
- 2004, Swift expanded its portfolio by acquiring the CSIR's HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) and training section.
- 2012, Swift Micro Laboratories announced an international joint venture with Silliker, a Mérieux NutriSciences Company. A new brand name was launched on 1 August 2012, namely Swift Silliker (Pty) Ltd. The company’s legal identity remained unchanged, as did the management team and staff.
- 2016, Swift Silliker (Pty) Ltd celebrated 25 years in industry and officially began trading as Mérieux NutriSciences in South Africa