Mérieux NutriSciences offers a range of expert food assessments. Our due diligence acquisition services focus on the insights you will need to make the best food safety and quality decisions prior to closing day.
Evaluating what occurs during sanitation and pre-operational inspections is critical to starting an operation ready to make safe food. This often occurs at third shift and our team is ready to assist in this review at that time.Expert Assessments
We can help you to proactively identify risks in your processes by evaluating your raw materials and finished products, laboratory systems and manufacturing environment for potential hazards. By identifying these red flags up front, you can avoid the cost of corrective actions and root causes later.
A Risk Assessment is an independent evaluation of how well your plant’s pre-requisite programs are working. These include your Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan, food safety and quality programs such as Good Manufacturing Processes (GMPs), sanitation, training and environmental monitoring.
All of these systems should work together to ensure you produce safe food products, meet applicable government regulations, and deliver on customer expectations. The objective of our assessment is to identify any existing opportunities for risk and make recommendations for improving in-plant conditions and programs.
Food Safety System Pre-Assessment
HACCP programs are the basis for all food safety systems. Our experts can evaluate your food safety system and work with you to take it to the next level.
Mérieux NutriSciences consultants will take a look at your current system and compare it against the aspired standard to ensure audit readiness. Following a detailed gap analysis including HACCP review, our experienced consultants will benchmark your plant food safety programs against industry standards such as SQF, BRC, or any other customer-specific standard.
One unfortunate miscalculation or unexpected mistake can undermine the credibility of your data and safety of your products.
Through a detailed gap analysis, we can benchmark your laboratory quality system against recognized Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs). From media sterility to data management, we evaluate every facet of your internal systems for deficiencies that can negatively impact the production of reliable, accurate data.
Well-trained and knowledgeable lab technicians are your most valuable asset. We can conduct a number of cost-effective education programs.
Due Diligence is designed to allow a company to independently evaluate how well its plant’s prerequisite food safety programs (GMP’s, sanitation, training, environmental monitoring, etc.) and HACCP plans are working to produce safe food, meet applicable government regulations and satisfy client demands. It differs slightly from a food safety risk assessment where a risk assessment may focus on a specific aspect of food safety such as Sanitation, Environmental Monitoring or a Vendor Approval Program. These risk assessments are usually requested by the management of the company themselves for their site or a sister operation. Our Due Diligence is more holistic and is focused on being the eyes of an investing entity with respect to where this potential acquisition falls on food safety. Red flags are uncovered.
During the Due Diligence process, the facility conditions and employee implementation of any food safety and quality programs are evaluated to ensure the customer is capable of producing a safe product. The objective is to identify any existing opportunities and to make recommendations for improving programs and conditions at the plant or food service operations.
A Due Diligence Risk Assessment includes:
Facility(s) review for the inclusion of appropriate food safety technologies and adherence to food safety principles in facility design
– This will include a conduct a walk-through to evaluate the plant’s physical layout and equipment for compliance with food safety principles. Does the facility have the proper hygienic designs and or controlling proper sanitation procedures to produce a safe food? Does the plant have proper traffic patterns and a linear flow to processing?
External security and integrity check of the facility and grounds
– A technical expert will evaluate the facility, addressing the security of the premises and food defense principles. Is the facility properly implementing the criteria of FSMA rule? Do they test the effectiveness of their preventative programs?
Review compliance with applicable regulations (e.g. FSIS salmonella/E.coli testing, HACCP; FDA Required Food Safety Plan)
– Our experts will review how well the programs in place at the plant comply with food safety regulations. A FDA FSMA gap assessment will be performed to determine opportunities for improvement. Reviews of regulatory audits will be evaluated for trends and corrective actions. Reviewing compliance to all regulatory audits will be included.
Implementation of safe employee practices
– Many times events occur with respect to food safety due to employee intervention. Merieux NutriSciences has specialists that will observe how well the programs are followed by plant personnel and how those practices affect the safety of the food produce.
Training records review
– Training is the beginning of any systems and procedure and is the most important start of a plants food safety journey. Technical experts will review all onsite records and interview employees to assess the effectiveness of training at the facility.
HACCP Documentation: Hazard Analysis, HACCP Plan, HACCP Deviations, HACCP Verification/Validation
– A technical expert will review the company’s HACCP program for completion. This review will include the plan itself, all associated records and any reviews from 3rd party and regulatory identities. The flow diagram will be assessed by walking the facility to ensure all components are properly captured. Each process will be reviewed.
Environmental and product testing program review
– Environmental monitoring is a very important tool in the food prevention toolbox. A comprehensive review of all components and how this fits into your Food Safety Plan “FSP” will be covered. Site selection being the most important will be addressed as well.
Sanitation practice evaluation
– Our experts will evaluate how well the sanitation procedures are implemented and followed. Opportunities for improvement will be discussed. SSOP’s written documents will be assessed.
– Evaluating what occurs during sanitation and pre-operational inspections is critical to starting an operation ready to make safe food. This often occurs at third shift and our team is ready to assist in this review at that time.
Pest control program evaluation
– A technical expert will evaluate the pest control program; some of the areas that will be reviewed are training of personnel/provider, appropriate licenses, location/number of traps/bait stations, etc. Most importantly would be historical data and mitigation strategies for trends that have occurred.
Review of recent food safety/quality audits
– Different sets of eyes are often important to have a better vision into opportunities for improvement. By reviewing the results of any internal and third party audits and how well the plant has addressed any issues found during these audits will indicate a positive culture in food safety.
Once the assessment has been completed, a report with recommendations will be generated to address the issues found by the consultants.