From salt and spices to food colorants and preservatives, a component is any substance or substance, including flavorings, food additives and food enzymes, even if they are in an altered form, in the manufacture or preparation of a food and still in the finished product.
In today's complex global food supply chain, food additives play an important role. They help preserve the qualities and characteristics of the food that the consumers demand, and in this process they provide as safe, nutritious and appetizing as the "fork from the farm". The use of additives must be strictly regulated and should be considered to have a proven usefulness, to be safe for consumption and not to be misleading for the consumer. Mérieux NutriSciences provides analyzes for the determination of quantities of almost all components and additives, including colors, preservatives, flavoring agents and product enhancers.
Commonly tested ingredients and additives include:
- Amino acids (carnitine, choline, taurine, creatinine)
- Protective substances (sulfur dioxide, sorbic acid and benzoic acid, parabens, propionic acid)
- Antioxidants (BHT, BHA, gallates, resveratrol, isoflavones, phytosterols)
- Sweeteners (aspartame, saccharin, cyclamate)
- Paints (natural - carotenoids, beta-carotene, lutein, curcumin, astaxanthin, canthaxanthin, artificial colorants)
- Acidulants (lactic, citric, tartaric)
- Other additives (phosphates, glutamates, propylene glycol, vanillin, alcohols, Pimarisin, natamycin, nisin, nucleotides)