Water is a fundamental element for organisms and human activities.
Current rule specifies its chemical, physical and biological characteristics according to the final use.
The quality of surface water is monitored to safeguard human health and protect both aquatic life and the environment. The expression “Surface water” refers to the different types of water on earth: torrents, rivers, lakes, marshlands and sea water. They are thus different from groundwater flowing below earth’s surface, in soil or rock formations in the form of aquifers. Mérieux NutriSciences offers sampling and analyses of surface and treated water for public supply fully complying with international legislation and environmental standards. Water quality standards may vary according to the Country and the end use.
The monitoring of surface water quality is carried out to
- ensure water safety
- evaluate the impact of waste water deriving from agricultural and industrial activities
- monitor water pollution
Ground water flows below earth surface, in the soil or rock formations in the form of aquifers. Since they are a source destined to human consumption, they might be harmful to human health if they are contaminated by industries and anthropic activities.
The monitoring of ground water includes its sampling and analysis and measurements of the freatimetric level.
Mérieux NutriSciences offers sampling services and analyses of ground water in full compliance with international environmental standards.
Our environmental monitoring services include
- microbiological analyses
- eco-toxicological analyses
- measurements of the freatimetric level.
- on site analyses
- detection and analyses of organic and inorganic pollutants among which there are Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), PCDD/PCDFs and PCBs, Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPHs), Semi-volatile Organic Compounds (SVOCs) and metals.
Industrial and home effluents, widely known as waste waters, are a potential source of pollution of both water and soil. Their monitoring and treatment contribute to the safeguarding of safety of human health and salubrity of the environment. Mérieux NutriSciences offers a whole range of sampling services and analyses to support the plans for waste waters monitoring and treatment. The analyses include the characterization of industrial and home effluents to control quality and compliance to international environmental standards and guidelines. The services also include eco-toxicological analyses such as acute and chronic toxicity in fish, microtox, micro-crustaceans (Daphnia similis), seaweeds, etc.
Mérieux NutriSciences performs analyses for potable water and mineral waters. Our specialized laboratories perform microbiological analyses to identify potentially harmful bacteria and chemical analyses to determine radioactivity, residues and contaminants, including heavy metals, PCBs and dioxins. Specific analysis to determine the Legionella pneumophila to manage the risk of Legionnaire’s disease is also provided. The checks on water quality are performed to ensure water safety in public bathing areas and spas, as well as water quality for agricultural uses (such as irrigation of crops) and water used in industrial processes or urban and industrial effluents. Preventive measures are established to limit contamination, avoid bacterial development in critical environments and monitor levels of Legionella or other specific contaminants such as Pseudomonas.
Besides our analytical activities, we provide our customers with a Customer Care service staffed by highly skilled technicians dedicated to
- registration of test samples in the corporate IT system (LOGIN);
- legislative and technical advice;
- preparation of analytical plans according to regulatory requirements or specific requests;
- reporting with remarks (test reports), compliance assessments, interpretations and comments of analysis results in compliance with regulations or special requirements (AIA (1), legislative derogations, special technical specifications, technical standards, etc.) or proprietary chemical and test knowledge of industrial processes;
- preparation of reports for research analysis (that exceed the usual analytical process in type and timing);
- close cooperation with the sales team, the laboratory and the administrative department;
- consultancy services to support public and private bodies in the event of criminal proceedings, seizures, etc.;
(1) Autorizzazione Integrata Ambientale stands for Integrated Environmental Authorization. It is the provision that authorizes the activity of a plant upon certain conditions; it concerns integrated pollution prevention and control.
Professionalism and continuous updating characterize this area. The staff dedicated to sampling and field activities is constantly updated and trained in compliance with current sampling regulations. The operational teams of Mérieux NutriSciences environmental section have a large and duly equipped car and van park for the transport of sampling and measurement tools, sampling containers and samples.