The EU Ecolabel, created in 1992 and recognized throughout Europe, promotes environmental excellence and indicates products and services that have a reduced environmental impact.
Under the EU Procurement Directives (2004/17/EC and 2004/18/EC), the Ecolabel may be used in Green Public Procurement (GPP), a process whereby public authorities seek to procure goods with a reduced environmental impact compared to other goods with the same primary function.
Cleaning products eligible for the Ecolabel are as follows:
- All purpose cleaners and sanitary cleaners
- Dishwashing detergents,
- Hand dishwashing detergents,
- Laundry detergents.
Product-specific criteria ensure that any product bearing the EU Ecolabel:
- Has a reduced environmental impact
- Is of good quality and provides a high level of performance: one of the strengths of the Ecolabel is the proven efficacy of the products certified.
EU Ecolabeled cleaning products and detergents are compared in terms of performance with a reference detergent, in accordance with the EU eco-detergents performance test, to ensure that they clean effectively. The criteria used to evaluate the performance of detergents have been developed and agreed upon by scientists, NGOs, stakeholders and highly qualified laboratories, including Mérieux NutriSciences. Our laboratory has been accredited by ACCREDIA (the Italian national accreditation body) for all methods used to test the performance of detergent products, namely:
- Washing performance of laundry detergents
- Washing efficacy of detergents for dishes hand-washing
- Washing performance of dishwasher detergents
- Degreasing effect, compatibility with surfaces and descaling effect of detergents for hard surfaces
- Descaling power (lime dissolution index) of sanitary cleaners
- Degreasing effect, compatibility with the surfaces and evaluation of stripe-less drying of detergents for glasses