Colorimetry, defined as the technology used to quantify and describe physically human color perception, is one of our laboratory’s areas of excellence.
The scope for applying colorimetry is extremely extensive, given that:
- Color is one of the primary factors in product selection;
- Color fastness (resistance to fading or running) is a major attribute in determining product quality;
- Color is the basis for substantiation of the most common claims in the detergent industry, e.g. “It removes every kind of soiling” and “It doesn't cause fabrics to yellow”.
In order to assess the following factors:
- Homogeneity of color among different production batches,
- Differences between several competitors,
- Color fastness to light, weathering, rubbing, aging, temperature and washing,
- The efficacy of laundry detergents in removing stains,
- The substantiation of claims concerning color,
Mérieux NutriSciences offers various instruments, covering every possible customer request:
- The DigiEye Image Analyzer uses high-resolution digital technology to capture and measure color and changes of shade in both solid and liquid samples.
- Spectrophotometers measure the intensity of light absorbed after it passes through the sample.
- The Lovibond tintometer measures the color of transparent liquid samples.