Human skin is a complex ecosystem with various micro-environmental conditions and skin microbial communities, and it is the home to millions of bacteria, fungi and viruses which compose the skin microbiota.
Skin microbiota is extremely important to the skin health and it plays an essential role in skin protection against external infectious or toxic substances.
Skin microbial communities are site-, individual-, and race-specific and they are largely stable over time, despite skin’s exposure to different external environments. Various factors, including the use of antibiotics, cosmetics, soaps, personal care products, and living conditions such as life styles and nutrition habits can influence the skin microbiome.
It is important to maintain the SKIN MICROBIOTA EQUILIBRIUM to preserve the best physiology of the skin.
Products type: all skin care products, deodorants and scalp care
Mérieux NutriSciences has developed a robust strategy to provide a complete service for demonstrating the real efficacy of beauty products that claim for microbiome on their label.
This integrated approach combines 3 elements:
- STEP 1 • The selection of the right panel
Thanks to a MALDI-TOF identification approach, the right panel of volunteers is screened and selected according to the bacterial communities of skin and scalp.
- STEP 2 • The proof of product efficacy on the selected right panel
How does a product work on Skin Microbiome? Thanks to a customizable evaluation on skin microbiome before and after your product application, we can prove the real efficacy of the product on the selected volunteers with an integrated and multi-tool approach: new microbiological method associated with MALDI-TOF identification, clinical test evaluation and visual evidence.
- STEP 3 • A metagenomic advanced study (on demand)
The study of the taxonomical metasequencing provides the skin microbiota composition
Skin Microbiome evaluation is necessary not only for cosmetic product applications
The health of the skin depends upon the delicate balance between cells and the millions of bacteria and microbes living on its surface, which may have a strong influence on the functional differences between healthy skin and diseased or damaged skin. Also strong treatments may deeply alter the skin microbiome and compromise the skin health.
- FOCUS ON MICROBIOME EVALUATION on SKIN DERMATITIS Our studies on skin microbiome suggested a link between a varied skin microbiome and the course of the disease. Flares of the disease could be associated with an expansion of Staphylococcus aureus on lesional skin and a substantial loss of biodiversity in skin microbiome.
- FOCUS ON MICROBIOME EVALUATION on THIN FRAGILE SKIN Skin rash, dryness and peeling, swelling or facial redness, and itching are the main side effects that might occur AFTER SKIN DISORDER, MEDICATIONS and in OLDER ADULTS.