Mérieux NutriSciences is the food industry’s leading microbiology testing partner. Our microbiologists apply their expert understanding of food matrices and regulatory requirements to perform tests according to standards set by APHA, AFNOR, AOAC, FDA, ISO, and USDA.
We can also perform tests according to client-specific standards as required.
We can help you to isolate and identify common indicator organisms and foodborne pathogens, analyze raw ingredient samples and finished products to guarantee the quality and safety of your food products. Bacterial identification, and foodborne illness investigations are just a few of the additional services we provide. We can even arrange convenient and secure pickup of your samples.
Our highly specialized labs perform microbiological tests in all matrices, including:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Cereals and nuts
- Ingredients and additives
- Animal feed
- Finished products
- Food contact material
We also perform a variety of swab tests with our environmental monitoring services to guarantee the safety and hygiene of your production environment.
Our international network of ISO accredited laboratories conform to the most stringent industry standards to ensure the integrity of your data.
Mérieux NutriSciences’ microbiology testing portfolio includes analytical services to detect common indicators, pathogenic microbes and their toxins or organisms causing decay such as yeasts and molds.
Our full range of microbiological tests enables you to guarantee the quality of your food products by ensuring they are free of spoilage organisms or pathogens.
- Acid-resistant microorganisms
- Fecal contamination indicators
- Heat-resistant microorganisms
- Psychotropic microorganisms
- Spore-forming microorganisms
Pathogens and Toxins
- Listeria monocytogenes
- Legionella pneumophila
- Escherichia coli STEC including O157
- Vibrio spp.
- Clostridium perfringens
- Bacillus cereus
- Cronobacter spp (Enterobacter sakazakii)
- Staphylococcus aureus
Microbiological challenge testing is a useful tool for determining the ability of a food to support the growth of spoilage organisms or pathogens.
Challenge testing helps you simulate what could happen to a product during production, processing, distribution or subsequent handling by consumers. It is also an essential tool in the development of new formulations or products.
Why perform a challenge test?
- To determine if certain spoilage organisms or pathogens can develop in a particular food or food product
- To determine shelf life under various storage conditions
- To study the effectiveness of a preservative or determine the presence of certain concentrations of a preservative
- To ensure compliance with food safety regulations which require manufacturers to conduct such studies in certain foods, especially packaged and ready-to-eat foods with the potential for Listeria, Salmonella and other pathogens
Find out more about the Challenge Studies performed by Mérieux NutriSciences Contract Research Services.