The packaging of a cosmetic product is not just a simple container, but it is a fundamental communication tool to guide consumer purchases, deliver brand identity and it is an essential element for assessing product safety.
We can offer an innovative service that meets the needs of both packaging manufacturers and professionals who deal with cosmetics, thus ensuring packaging safety and suitability.
- General and migration tests are essential to ensure that the packaging complies with cosmetic regulations, thus ensuring a sufficient degree of inertia even with aggressive products
- Stability tests are based on international Guidelines and verify that the product does not undergo major/unacceptable changes during its life cycle
- Risk evaluation. The packaging of a cosmetic product must not release hazardous substances that could jeopardize the safety of consumers: the study of the interaction on a case-by-case basis is of utmost importance as well as the highlighting of the elements to estimate toxicological risk
- Screening test: a valid support, especially when the exact composition of packaging materials is unknown
- Specific migration test for particular suspicious and dangerous substances such as metals, bisphenols, phthalates
- Determination of mineral oils (MOSH and MOAH) that could contaminate the cosmetic product
- Set-off studies to evaluate the migration by diffusion of ink components of prints and labels
Mérieux NutriSciences is glad to announce its involvement in the drafting of the first Italian Guidelines on cosmetic packaging – published by the Italian Institute of Packaging– for the definition of packaging characteristics as part of product safety assessment.
Product stability and Period After Opening
Stability studies guarantee that the product abides by all the quality standards when preserved in suitable conditions with regard to temperature, humidity and light exposure. All these factors help to foresee its stability and life, as well as the compatibility of its formulation with the materials with which it will come into contact.
Our laboratories perform a complete series of customized test to meet customers’ needs.
Stability tests are based on international Guidelines and verify that the product does not undergo unacceptable changes during its life:
- organoleptic and sensory properties: appearance, colour, odour and taste
- chemical and physical properties: pH, viscosity, density and ingredients, if required
- microbiological properties: microbial count and challenge test
- monitoring of active substances: UV filters, antioxidants, antimicrobials, etc.
- screening of aromatic substances to determine changes in quality and quantity
- Period After Opening (PAO) - simulation of product’s life
- thermal shock through protocols that envisage alternate cycles at different temperatures
- Stability to light (Xenon test) of finished products
- Photostability of UV chemical filters
You might be also interested in:
All our Tests and Services
Full range of scientific tests to support your safety evaluations.
Clinical evaluations in order to demonstrate the efficacy of your product.
Wide range of chemical and physical analyses of cosmetic products in accordance with ICH guidelines.
Characterization and quantification of microorganisms in final cosmetic and personal care products, in intermediate products and for the control of manufacturing environments. We conduct tests to assess the efficiency of antimicrobial preservation agents, as well as sterility and bioburden tests.
To ensure that your products meet quality standards when stored under proper conditions, a safety and stability assessment is required. Mérieux NutriSciences provides a full complement of customizable analytical methods in order to respond to customer requirements on a case-by-case basis.
OTC (over-the-counter) medicines are safe and effective drugs used by the general public without prior recourse to a healthcare professional. OTCs must be manufactured and controlled in accordance with cGMP requirements for pharmaceuticals for human consumption.
Mérieux NutriSciences can help with cGMP compliance in relation to the following:
- Method development and validation
- Quality control
- Stability testing
Human skin is a complex ecosystem with various micro-environmental conditions and skin microbial communities, and it is the home to millions of bacteria, fungi and viruses which compose the skin microbiota.
Skin microbiota is extremely important to the skin health and it plays an essential role in skin protection against external infectious or toxic substances.
Discover more about our services for the Skin Microbiome
GO GREEN SAVE GREEN
Consumer’s satisfaction and the “Wow effect”
One of the fundamental ingredients to make a product successful is customer’s satisfaction; however, how can their needs be anticipated? Sensory analysis and market research are a sound support in this field.