Paper and cardboard objects intended for food contact are generally regulated by EC Regulation 1935/2004 and Italian Presidential Decree 777 dd. Aug. 23, 1982 and subsequent amendments and additions, and specifically by Ministerial Decree 21/03/73 and subsequent amendments and additions. The latter lists the substances whose use is authorized in the manufacturing of paper and cardboard (positive lists of fibrous materials, fillers, auxiliary substances and technological processing aids) and also involves the verification of composition and purity requirements (for example, the limit on the PCB presence, absence of transfer of optical brighteners, etc.).
Mérieux NutriSciences offers all the necessary tests for the verification of the legal requirements for food suitability and assess any chemical contamination, commodity checks, tests according to EN 13432, heavy metals and physical and mechanical properties of the products.
Some important tests performed on paper and cardboard intended for food contact are the following:
- Analysis in accordance with BFR, French law, CEPI and CITPA Guidelines
- Determination of formaldehyde (free or extract)
- Determination of mineral oils (MOSH, MOAH)
- Determination of the transfer of antimicrobial constituents
- Diisopropylnaphtalenes (DIPN)
- Photoinitiators: benzophenone and ITX
- Heavy metals (Directive 94/62/CE as amended)
- Microbiological tests
Furthermore, in order to evaluate in advance the possibility that a contact with the packaging material implies an olfactory and/or taste defect of the food, tests to verify the organoleptic suitability of the packaging material through sensory analysis are performed.