January 1, 2024 is the date by which the new draft law –submitted in Parliament last September– imposes some obligations for the removal of asbestos in public premises and workplaces.
This measure was created to implement Directive no. 2009/148/EC and envisages the following:
- asbestos reclamation in public premises or places open to the public, including schools and hospitals,
- reclamation in workplaces,
- recovery and recycling if asbestos has to be removed,
- actions aiming at reducing the risk of exposure to asbestos,
- mapping of the areas contaminated by asbestos by 2019 and closing of the census on the presence of asbestos by 2020.
A special fund will be established to implement reclamations.
Mérieux NutriSciences will follow the legislative procedure on this issue and performs censuses, mapping, characterization and analysis of asbestos.