Contaminants and Residues
Food and feed products can be contaminated by chemical contaminants and residues coming from many different sources along all the agri-food chain.
Chemical contaminants substances and residues can come from:
- Raw materials, in which/where naturally present, used to produce food and feed products
- Production process as a result of chemical reactions, especially in process which require high temperature or extraction procedure with chemical substances
- Food contact materials transfer (surfaces, facilities, equipments or packaging)
- Agricultural practices, from crops treatments (pesticides, phytochemicals, fungicide)
- Farming practices (e.g. hormones)
The most impacting chemical contaminants on the agri-food chain are:
- Pesticides residues
- Mycotoxins: aflatoxins, ochratoxin, fumosines, Ergot alkaloids, Alternaria toxins
- Plant toxins: Tropane Alkaloids, Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids
- Veterinary drugs residues
- Heavy metals among which cadmium, lead, arsenic are the most emerging
- Process contaminants: acrylamide, furan and alkyl furans, MCPD, dioxins and PCB, PAH, chlorates and perchlorates
- Contaminants from contact materials (MOSH MOAH)
- Environmental contaminants (radioactivity substances)
The presence of chemical contaminants and pesticides and veterinary drugs residues in the food chain represents an increasing issue of health and safety worldwide for all the consumers.
A full service for contaminants and residues by Mérieux NutriSciences
Mérieux NutriSciences provides analytical tests able to guarantee food and feed products quality and safety on a wide range/spectrum of contaminants.
Our testing centers of excellence employ approved methods for the detection of many contaminants and pesticides and veterinary drugs residues using/through high level and state-of-the-art instrumentation to achieve accurate, reliable and rapid/fast results.
The analytical techniques available at Mériuex NutriSciences are:
- UHPLC-MS/MS e GC-MS/MS triplo quadruplo,
- HPLC/MS/MS (trappola ionica)
- UHPLC/Exactive (Orbitrap Technologies),
- HPLC-GC-FID per MOSH MOAH
The support of customers is guaranteed through Customer Care, highly specilized technical experts in scientific matters dedicated to technical support and consulting to define analytical plans, to close test reports and conformity assessment and in writing technical reports.
Moreover, Mérieux NutriSciences spends human resources to specific requests , Project Managers, who represent the contact either for management or contract issues. Project Managers have technical and regulatory knowledge and experiences and work on supporting the customer in the analytical plan definition and activities planning, such as a real consultant.